This page has moved to a new address.

Enriching your artistry through life experience

The Sensible Flutist: Enriching your artistry through life experience

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Enriching your artistry through life experience

Image by Dan Brady
In May, I wrote several blog posts that included my Manifesto, and several more articles about income streams and making your own way as a musician. One idea I wanted to write about never quite made it to the table, so here I am writing about it now. Life experience. I touched briefly on this in this week's earlier post, which got me thinking about it a little more.

When I describe my situation to others, it's humbling to see the scores of others in the position that my husband and I are in. The economy has brought change to lots of people. Some of the change has been positive and at other times negative. My own work has been shaped by a desire to become portable in order to weather the changes that life has brought me at pretty regular intervals of every 2-3 years.

I firmly believe in the new economy, and I believe in the power of individuals to make their own way. With that said, life experience can be a boon to artistic development. If our lives were simple, what depth would our lives have? What depth would our music have? On one hand, I crave simplicity but I know that the painful and uncomfortable times will lead to a greater discovery of who I am and what I'm capable of handling. One could say that I'm in the worst position I've ever been in; however, I also trust that God will never give me more than I can handle.

I'm accepting these changes in the hope that my life will help me develop a deeper appreciation for the music that I'm so passionate about. I am full of gratitude for the music I am able to share with others, gratitude for those who support me and gratitude for even these uncomfortable changes I'm faced with right now. I'm realizing that accepting the painful times enhances artistry in a way that enables the musician to explore the full range of emotions in the music they perform. Love, pain, loss, joy and sorrow. In fact, I have the opportunity to study the human condition from a first hand position.

As I accept my momentary "uncomfortableness," I'm noticing these emotions and what they do. Not only am I opening myself up to possibility, but I am letting my life guide me in my artistic endeavors. Just like the discoveries one makes when studying Body Mapping and realizing that all your "problems" are connected, my life is connected to music. Art is absolutely connected to our lives.

When you enrich your artistry through life experience, you are allowing that experience to connect you personally to your performance. That is one more layer of awareness through which to communicate exactly what you want to your audience. There is music inside every one of us. Allow your life to help transmit it to the world.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing, Alexis! I was inspired to write about a vivid performance that was fueled by a personal experience.

 
At July 21, 2012 at 7:16 AM , Blogger The Sensible Flutist said...

Thanks for commenting, Jolene! It always makes me happy to hear that I've inspired someone, especially to write about their experiences. Is it online?

 
At July 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It is here: http://joleneharju.blogspot.com/2012/07/life-changing-performances-never.html

 
At July 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM , Blogger The Sensible Flutist said...

What a great post and an awesome blog! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home