This page has moved to a new address.

Practice with your head, perform from your heart

The Sensible Flutist: Practice with your head, perform from your heart

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Practice with your head, perform from your heart

While I’m trying to separate from my ego (read my previous post here), I’m beginning to answer some of my own questions about how to practice for performance and artistic success.

There’s lot of great resources about practicing, but you are ultimately responsible for integrating what works for you into your performance.

A simple reminder to ourselves should be, “Practice with your head, perform from your heart.”

When I begin feeling like I’m too much in my head during my practice sessions, I tune in to my heart. This is one of the reasons why I have to practice in a room with a view. It helps me stay connected to the outside world plus the natural beauty keeps me refreshed. There’s nothing like nature to get you out of your head and encourage gratitude for the gift you have to share.

We must practice fine, technical details to access a higher artistic level; however, we must also practice finding our heart if we are to play on stage the way we really want to and as well as we know we can. Because practicing is such a solitary activity, we tend to constantly instruct ourselves rather than staying inclusively aware of the music and the body. Humans are not designed to be solitary creatures. Music is one way of staying connected and our practicing should nurture that.

As you practice today, try tuning in to a deeper source beyond your brain’s mental chatter. Whether you go to a spiritual place or visualize an image that you can use to diminish the chatter, use it often. You’ll find that this type of practicing will connect you more with your audience while performing as well as make practicing itself more enjoyable.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At January 19, 2012 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Jodi said...

So true! As teachers, we have to teach this as well. So many students think a piece is finished when the notes are learned. This is a different way of looking at musicality in performance. Thanks for the thought!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM , Blogger The Sensible Flutist said...

Jodi, thanks for commenting! I agree completely about teaching this as a skill. I teach my beginners with this type of awareness so that they stay inquisitive. It's a challenge to teach everything we need to, but teaching this way will lead to more musical, more efficient results.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home