This page has moved to a new address.

The Online Music Teacher Community - Friend or just more Competition?

The Sensible Flutist: The Online Music Teacher Community - Friend or just more Competition?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Online Music Teacher Community - Friend or just more Competition?

At what point do we as musicians stop enjoying the global sharing of resources and begin to realize the ever increasing competition that is all around us as a result of the far reaching impact of the Internet into our lives? Will there come a time when people stop looking for music teachers in their local area and opt to study only with major teachers because they happen to offer lessons via webcam?

I think musicians must embrace social media and the technology that makes virtual lessons a reality, but will the local music teacher who may have the same amount of enthusiam and creativity lose out on this? Have I already lost out on students because their mom or dad found them online lessons with a teacher who lives 500 miles away? Gone are the days of competing against a few music teachers, but now you're competing with tens or hundreds of other teachers that are now offering virtual lessons. Why not become one of them?

I think online lessons are wonderful tools, especially for more mature players who are looking for a way to easily take a lesson or two with a well respected master teacher, but I think that nothing replaces a good, local teacher for beginners and continuing students.

I am open to offering lessons via Skype, so I'm not against this newest development in technology. The amount of competition that exists currently can be overwhelming at times. Musicians must learn how to deal with this new layer of complexity, and go forward. Be confident in what you have to offer, and creatively build your audience and studio. Keep your eyes and ears open for the next opportunity, and never be afraid to take risks. This is the face of the future.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 28, 2010 at 7:06 PM , Blogger That Mouse said...

I could make a silly comment about beginning players having Starcraft II open in a little window during the lesson (or God help us, Farmville) or how I wouldn't have been able to quit procrastinating in the beginning without an occasional swat to the back of the head. (some would argue that this is something I still need.)

I think it's a good idea, especially for "touching base" with a former teacher that you know and trust, but now live thousands of miles away from. I also like the spontaneity of just being able to schedule something on the fly. "Hey, check this out!" Much more fun and easier to share new ideas that way.

--Melissa M. Burcham

 
At July 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM , Blogger The Sensible Flutist said...

Great imagery! And a great way to explain to little Jenny's mother why Skype lessons aren't the best way to begin playing the flute. Just like the conversation you'd have telling them not to buy the purple flute.

I've taken some Skype lessons with the teacher I'm studying with right now, and they've been very helpful. I think they're great for flutists with a full plate, which is why if anyone asks me for virtual lessons, I'll seriously consider it.

 
At July 31, 2010 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Erica Ann Sipes said...

Interesting post, Alexis. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this whole Skype thing too. In fact, my husband and I were just having a discussion about it today because I keep toying with the idea of doing some "practice coaching" via Skype. There are certainly more and more folks going down this road, many of whom seem to also be twitterers and bloggers, which is really not too surprising. I'll be curious to find out where this all leads to and to see if you give it a try as well.

I'll try it, if you try it ;-)

-Erica

 
At July 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM , Blogger The Sensible Flutist said...

If I can find some takers for lessons, I'll be doing it and posting my experiences!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home