This page has moved to a new address.

Active Breathing

The Sensible Flutist: Active Breathing

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Active Breathing

I have just recently began exploring the concept that Nina Perlove discusses in the video above with the help of Dr. Christine Moulton, who teaches at Mansfield University. I had never heard of this way of breathing prior to Dr. Moulton discussing it with me, and I find that this way of breathing is much more natural and frees the sound and the player.

This method of breathing is a little controversial which is why so many of us flutists haven't heard about it. I worked on breathing a lot in college, and exploring this new method has actually improved things in my playing that have always driven me nuts.

I find the concept extremely interesting. I'll post more in the future as I do further research on the topic. For now, enjoy the video and please comment with any thoughts you may have!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At June 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM , Blogger Michele said...

Really interesting!!! Thanks for sharing this!!
I'll try to experiment myself with this!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home