This page has moved to a new address.

Journaling to release the artist within

The Sensible Flutist: Journaling to release the artist within

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Journaling to release the artist within

Do you journal? If so, what? Do you write down your personal happenings, your practice sessions or something else entirely? How has it benefited you?

By Ildar Sagdejev via Wikimedia Commons
I think on some level, journaling has become a lost art. If you're active on social media, much of what one posts is screened through a self imposed lens for appropriateness.

This lens has a tendency to be left on and it can become more difficult to examine oneself and process life experiences. Our innermost emotions are veiled even to ourselves. Regular journaling can help you stay in touch with yourself.

I kept a paper journal from ages 12 to 18 then I switched to Livejournal for a period of 4 years. It was a personal journal, and I've downloaded those entries to save along with the ones on paper. Periodically, I enjoy taking a trip down memory lane to see what used to be important to me.

What if we were to keep a musical journal? One that recapped performances and pivotal moments in one's musical development? 

We can use journaling to our musical advantage, too. Recording practice sessions or even performances can help musicians access and pinpoint emotional highlights or practical discoveries that can enhance their artistry.

Since keeping a journal can keep one in touch with their authentic self, doing so with an eye towards the music can help you become a more passionate performer. If we truly know what it is we wish to express and we know ourselves to be capable of delivering with intensity, then a journal can only deepen this expression. We can connect to our audiences more.

In a way, this blog is my musical journal. My posts are often times very personal and revealing. Being able to record my thoughts in this manner not only helps people, but helps me make sense of the thoughts constantly swirling around in my head about music and my own journey.

When you have a solid grasp of your identity, you can express yourself even more powerfully through music. This is the kind of connection audiences crave and it'll make your music stand apart from the rest.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At September 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM , Blogger Olya said...

Do you mean writing down feelings and emotions while practicing a particular piece? I've never done that but I do have a practice journal. With the ever growing list of things that need to be worked on daily and limited time to do it, it would be hard to remember which keys I practiced my scales in or what the metronome markings were for the chromatic scales and intervals. Stuff like that. It is very helpful. If I have a particularly good tone day I write that down too, just to remind myself that it does happen. LOL

 
At September 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM , Blogger The Sensible Flutist said...

I mean both ways. Sometimes you may have a particular insight that you can't wait to explore more in the practice room, and writing it down can help you capitalize on that later. My suggestion just makes the journal more multi-dimensional than simply writing down what you practiced on a particular day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home